[svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?

Kevin J. Anderson lestat at counter-strike.net
Tue Oct 21 20:12:18 PDT 2003

->-----Original Message-----
->From: svlug-bounces+lestat=counter-strike.net at lists.svlug.org
->[mailto:svlug-bounces+lestat=counter-strike.net at lists.svlug.org]On
->Behalf Of Ron
->Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 10:46 PM
->To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
->Subject: [svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?
->
->I'm about to install Gentoo on a test system, my intention is to switch
->my boxes over if satisfied (a small Non-Profit serving web content).
->The switch will be from RH, the basic reasons are:
->
->  - Tired of playing the [major] upgrade game
->  - CPU specific binaries (speed)
->
->I've read reviews and I'm watching traffic on their MLs (so I'm aware it
->isn't a perfect distribution), before I take the plunge, are their any
->stories worth sharing?
->
->Thanks.
->
->-Ron

besides a few serious gentoo related screw ups pretty early on in the
distro, I have not had any issues that were not my own fault for at least 3
major gentoo versions.  its easy to keep up to date, its fast, and its lean.
Any questions/issues I have had have almost always been immediately answered
on their irc.freenode.net #gentoo channel, or on forums.gentoo.org.

I have gentoo on around 10 different boxes, and have no intention of
switching them.   I would still be leary on putting gentoo on a "you will be
fired if this box goes down" production machine, but even then I might
consider it, depending on what it would be used for...  Other than that, I
think gentoo rocks.  debian, redhat, suse, slackware all have their
strengths as well, but I really like gentoo.

kevin