[svlug] RFC: Draft letter to my local schools

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Oct 17 22:40:39 PDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Okay, I've posted this to LUGOD's 'outreach' mailing list, and
> RedHat's 'K-12 Open Source NOW!' list, and received some useful comments.
>
> I thought I'd throw it out here to SVLUG to let you folks comment on it.
>
> I'll be including the OpenOffice.org 4-page flyer for schools that was
> posted recently.  (I can dig up an URL if anyone wants it.)

An observation I would make, from observing staff at a Mountain View
middle school and MVHS (much less involvement) is that with budgets so
severely constrained as they are, schools:

1. Are not buying new equipment

2. Are facing cut-backs in support staff or have already cut them back
significantly

As a result, they are making do with what they already have. They simply
don't have the time to devote to rolling out Open Office on existing
Windows machines, let alone upgrading them to Linux and then installing
OpenOffice. They are simply too busy teaching and administering and
getting used to the reduced resources they have.

Regards
-----