[svlug] cdrecord and music

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 8 16:34:33 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 03:38:18PM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> Recording speed shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe not, but my empirical evidence suggests otherwise.  There are at
least two cases where it ought to make a difference: 1) burning at full
speed on media only rated up to a lower speed (I don't think cdrecord or
x-cdroast complain about that (that is encoded on the media, isn't
it?)), and 2) buffer underrun prevention schemes that tend to leave tiny
gaps in the recording - small enough that newer CDROM drives can cope,
but large enough that some audio cd players have trouble.

> [As a side note, anyone know of any tool that will automatically strip
> leading and trailing silense from sound files?  Looking for sort of the
> audio equivalent of pnmcrop.]

The man page for sox says it'll do that:
       silence above_periods [ duration threshold[ d | % ]
               [ below_periods duration threshold[ d | % ]]
                 Removes  silence  from  the beginning or end of a sound file.
                 Silence is anything below a specified threshold.

-rick