[svlug] NIS problem

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sat Oct 4 23:36:19 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:39:32AM -0700, Sanatan Rai wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Sorry for the delay.

in kind ;-)

> : What about your login to other machines? Permission denied might be a
> : password related if others have no problem on the same machine.
> : Permissions for your home directory might have something to do with it.
>
> 	I can log in to both the master and the other client without any
> problems.
>
> : su sanat
> : is not the same as
> : su - sanat
>
> 	su - sanat works fine as well.

Because the password doesn't matter.

> : The later is preferable in order to get the user's environment and that
> : would reveal permissions issues.
> :
> : Have you tried to update/change your NIS password and login again?
>
> 	I can't change it from my machine:
>
> [sanat at algorithm sanat]$ yppasswd
> Changing NIS account information for sanat on kauveri.Stanford.EDU.
> Please enter old password:
> Changing NIS password for sanat on kauveri.Stanford.EDU.
> Please enter new password:
> Please retype new password:
> Error while changing the NIS password.
> The NIS password has not been changed on kauveri.Stanford.EDU.
>
> or from any of the other machines.
>
> 	So here is the situation:
>
> 	1. One master (kauveri), two clients (narmada, algorithm).
> 	2. I (sanat) can log into kauveri and narmada, cannot log in to
> 	algorithm.
> 	3. Cannot use yppasswd on any machine to change passwd.

Check the permissions for sanat on NIS server. Can't be anything else
if you cannot use login or use yppasswd on any client.

> 	4. algorithm was initially setup without NIS and had a local
> 	user account sanat that was deleted when algorithm was made an
> 	NIS client.
> 	5. I was able to change yppasswd before algorithm became a
> 	client.

Check /etc/nsswitch.conf on client and make sure you have nis for
passwd, group, and shadow. Shoould be OK if others can login.

--
Rafael