[svlug] Linux for my mom?

Piotr T Zbiegiel peter at usestrict.org
Fri Oct 3 10:34:34 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 10:04, Sameer Verma wrote:
> Xandros has a clean interface, but is looks like a Linux Desktop. The
> Crossover plugin allows you to install MS Office, Internet Explorer, and
> other common Windows applications. In our setting where students need to

Not to be a nit-picker, but several times during this thread people have
referred to the Crossover *plugin* as running Microsoft Office apps.
This is inaccurate.  CodeWeavers, the company who sells the Crossover
products, actually has several different products.

The Crossover *plugin* (http://codeweavers.com/products/crossover/) lets
you run the various media apps like: Quicktime, Shockwave, Windows Media
Player, etc.  It also lets you run the various Microsoft Viewers(Word
Viewer, Excel Viewer, etc.) if your needs are lighter weight.  It even
runs Trillian!  Definately aimed at the home Linux user.

The Crossover *Office* application
(http://codeweavers.com/products/office/), on the other hand, lets you
install Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Visio, IE (on Linux?
*shudder*), etc. for more business-related requirements.

I'm not an employee of CodeWeavers or anything, but I have played with
the Office product before and I wanted to ensure that people were clear
on the difference between the two products.

Later,
Peter