[svlug] Linux for my mom?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Oct 2 15:20:11 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:56:48PM -0700, Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> Linux isn't a polished product yet, partly due to the
> fact that there are so many different distributions.

Hoh boy, here we go. :^)

"Linux", the kernel, is definitely a 'polished' product.

The various distributions are 'polished' in various ways.
Debian is a cinche to update.  Mandrake is apparently a cinche to install.
Lindows comes pre-set-up with an extremely easy-to-use interface.
And so forth.

Many of the _applications_ you'd run on Linux are _definitely_ quite
polished.  OpenOffice.org (and presumably, therefore, StarOffice) kick ass,
albeit a little slowly. ;^)  I can't imagine Mozilla and Konqueror not
being everything someone's non-technical mother would ever need, and then
some.

The fact that there's choice has _NO_ bearing on whether Linux is
a "polished product" or not.  Linux isn't even a product! :^P

-bill!