[svlug] Linux for my mom?

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Thu Oct 2 13:32:26 PDT 2003

My mom's been running Windoze 98 on her PC and is always calling me
with complaints that things aren't working.  She's probably got all
kinds of viruses and who knows what else wrong with the system and I
am tired of supporting it.  So I'm thinking of giving her Linux.

But she is clueless, and can barely function in Windoze.  I've been
using Linux so long that I'm not sure just how easy to use it can be
for a newbie.

Is it worth trying?  If so, which distro is the easiest for newbies to
cope with?  I'm a Debian person myself, but I suspect that RH9 or
Mandrake might be more user friendly for someone in her situation.
Or maybe LindowsOS?

Basically she only uses it for email, and she is somewhat comfortable
with Netscape/Mozilla.  So from that point of view it doesn't matter
what OS she is on.

I need to have it automatically dial into her PPP and automatically
disconnect when she's idle, and I am not sure how to do that in Linux
anymore, since I've been on DSL and cable for so long.

Also I need it to update itself when security patches come out, since
I can't expect her to do it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

--Bill.