[svlug] Booting problem

Stephen Liu satimis at writeme.com
Wed Oct 30 17:55:58 PST 2002

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.

At 10:35 AM 2002/10/30 -0800, David Christensen wrote:
>So, you had a working Linux machine that ran off the hard drive, you
>tried running a run-from-CD Linux distribution, and now your hard drive
>Linux is broken?

I had a RH8.0 box.  I ran the run-from-CD Linux direct from CDROM with its
booting device to boot up the PC.  RH8.0 did not start.

I have had previous experience running run-from-CD Linux from other
distributions.  They did not cause any mishap to the hard drive (another
Linux on the PC) otherwise I would disconnect the power cable from the hard
drive.

>Have you tried looking for a support forum/ mailing list/ newsgroup for
>the run-from-CD Linux distribution?

No.  I learnt this run-from-CD Linux distribution from a posting on another
list.  It only provided a link to its FTP server.  Clicking the link
directly prompted "saving ISO image' file.  I only know that this is
Mandrake 8.1 distribution

>If you have a boot floppy for the Linux on the hard drive, try booting
>from that.
>
>If you don't have a boot floppy, try booting from the installation
>media.

I don't have a boot floppy and will use CD1 of RH8.0 to boot up the
box.  In the worst case if I could rescue my RH8.0 box compelling me to
make reinstallation.  Could I select upgrade to preserve all data under
'root' and 'home directories.  In RH8.0 box there are 3 basic partitions
created automatically at time of installation

I will post the rest part of test later.

Thanks

Stephen Liu