[svlug] SVLUG mentioned on linuxjournal.com

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Tue Oct 29 23:07:25 PST 2002

>From: Larry Colen <lrclug at red4est.com>
>SVLUG must be getting old if we're recycling speakers.

We should at least want speakers to want to come back. :-)  We've also
"recycled" Larry Wall, inventor of Perl.  So far so good.

It's been 5 years since Hans last spoke to the group.  That was one of the
last meetings while SVLUG still met at the meeting room attached to the
Carl's Jr at N First and Trimble.  (That's the place where the BSD user
group currently meets.)  We were getting nearly standing-room only (SRO)
at 50 people in that location.

But nevermind that.  SVLUG is "old" anyway. :-)  It has to be since it
was founded 3 years before the first Linux kernel, as the LJ web site
mentions.  Many of you may remember when Linus Torvalds was the guest
speaker at SVLUG's 10th anniversary meeting in March 1998 - that was
the first meeting held at Cisco's conference centers.

Hmmm... as I type this, the implication of those numbers dawns on me...

We should have figured out the simple math on this sooner.  Of course
this means SVLUG's 15th anniversary meeting will be March 5, 2003, only
5 months away.  And by equally simple math, the same meeting will mark
5 years that Cisco has hosted SVLUG meetings.

Did we all miss that until now?  It doesn't seem like it's been that long.