[svlug] whois database seems to be incorrect

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Oct 27 01:03:10 PDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:12:34PM -0500, Justin Ryan wrote:

> no, i didn't, a proper dns hostname or zone name should end with a '.'

That's what I meant. You decided to twist it some other way obviously.

> btw who died and made you the fucking punctuation nazi?

It seems your teacher died before you managed to learn basic manners.
Check public libraries they still have some books on that subject. Punk.

> > whois (version I use) ends with
> > "The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
> > Registrars."
> >
> > That means that the DB should only return ??*.com and not *.??*.com for
> > example.
>
> no, you are assuming that.. what it means is that it will not have .gov,
> .us, .tv, .cn, etc..
>
> Once again these records are not _domains_ they are _nameservers within
> domains_.

You think so.

whois KLUGE.ORG
Registrant:

 Contact Account
 kluge  izroot
 PRIVATE

 PRIVATE
 de  US  19707
 bofh at hostile.outlawz.net

Phone: 7030000000
DNS servers for KLUGE.ORG are:
  Domain servers in listed order:

  ns.tasam.com 64.67.236.5
  ns.outlawz.net 64.67.237.2
  spareparts.outlawz.net 64.67.237.20
  ns1.nodepanic.org 216.75.92.186
  ns2.nodepanic.org 216.75.92.187
  ns1.twisted4life.com 203.115.228.163
  ns1.informationwave.net 199.74.235.2
  ns2.informationwave.net 199.26.176.2

MICROSOFT.COM.AINT.WORTH.SHIT.KLUGE.ORG is not listed as DNS for that
domain including https://www.gandi.net/whois?l=EN&domain=KLUGE.ORG

 host MICROSOFT.COM.AINT.WORTH.SHIT.KLUGE.ORG
MICROSOFT.COM.AINT.WORTH.SHIT.KLUGE.ORG. has address 127.0.0.1

all useless records and your claim is wrong.  Don't tell me "they are
_nameservers within domains_" because not all are, or at least the above
example is not. Again, what good is a public record when all information
on some domain IS USELESS?

> > Poluting whois DB with subdomain names is bound to be incorrect or it
> > makes no sense as it is obvious from the example mentioned previously.
> > As a matter of fact, I would agree with any company to go after those
> > who use other domain or company name as part of (sub)domain names with
> > intension to defraud or defame, but that's just my opinion. Use web
> > site(s) to show your opinions about others but don't polute public
> > records with crap.
>
> Why yell at me?  I haven't done it, I'm simply explaining that it is
> what it is..  Direct your misguided hostility at someone else..

Nobody's yelling at you, a comment was made on the situation which you
obviously did not recognize as such. Message was sent to the list so
it's directed to more than just you.

> > Why have a DB with incorrect or screwed up information? Just because
> > somebody hates one or another organization they should not be allowed
> > to mess with public records. It's a disappointment to see registrars
> > allow such behaviour. It's more likely IANA issue.
>
> If I own the 6MN.ORG domain I can damn sure call my nameservers
> MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.DIE.IN.6MN.ORG. if I want.  Gotta problem with that?

Yes. I believe it's violating copyright, trademark, and other related
laws, paper or digital form makes no difference. As said before, I
support any company going after anybody that's obviously violating such
a law.

> -Justin

Using search engines and reading relevant RFCs rather than using
misguiding suggestions I learned the following:

http://www.betterwhois.com

"But there is a problem, the standard WHOIS domain search used on
thousands of web sites is no longer accurate. Why? Because each domain
registrar now keeps their own WHOIS database which doesn't include
domains registered by competing registrars."

Some registrars obviously don't care what's in their database.

--
Rafael