[svlug] whois database seems to be incorrect

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sat Oct 26 12:10:17 PDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 08:16:15AM -0500, Justin Ryan wrote:
> > I don't see it as normal. Note that I did not use "microsoft.com*" but
> > microsoft.com which worked some time back without all the garbage. I
> > know products that use information from whois database which gets
> > distorted with garbage like that. I'm surprized to see that whois
> > servers would allow information on subdomains rather than domains only.
>
> It seems you are somewhat misunderstanding the DNS hierarchy...

Realy? Now you tell me. What have subdomain names to do with whois
database? Not much. Subdomain names are just DNS records,subject to DNS
administrator, and have nothing to do [1] with whois records otherwise I
should be able to use iteration on the mentioned example, whois
com.blows-me.org. but that doesn't work, at least it doesn't with
[whois.crsnic.net] Whois Server Version 1.3.

[1] or they shouldn't.

> microsoft.com. is essentially a subdomain of com., so
> microsoft.com.blows-me.org. is a subdomain of com.blows-me.org., which
> is a subdomain of blows-me.org., which is a subdomain of org.

You forgot to separate the . if it's not the end of the sentence.

> Make sense? :)

No. I expected whois database to show no more than the information about
the domain name, Administrative and Technical Contacts. No bogus
subdomains, missing phone numbers etc. I know about problems with
"overnight registration issues" and that the output from whois database
changed over the years especialy when new registrars came out and
scripts depending on whois started to crumble but did not expect it to
be so bad.

If you check returns from whois microsoft.com you will see that many of
them don't return host number which means whois database is bogus.

whois (version I use) ends with
"The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars."

That means that the DB should only return ??*.com and not *.??*.com for
example.

Poluting whois DB with subdomain names is bound to be incorrect or it
makes no sense as it is obvious from the example mentioned previously.
As a matter of fact, I would agree with any company to go after those
who use other domain or company name as part of (sub)domain names with
intension to defraud or defame, but that's just my opinion. Use web
site(s) to show your opinions about others but don't polute public
records with crap.

Why have a DB with incorrect or screwed up information? Just because
somebody hates one or another organization they should not be allowed
to mess with public records. It's a disappointment to see registrars
allow such behaviour. It's more likely IANA issue.

--
Rafael