[svlug] slow network

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 25 03:36:42 PDT 2002

So I have a (Covad) DSL pipe going into an OpenBSD box that serves as router
and firewall. This box feeds into a switch, to which Debian and Redhat boxes
are attached. If you'll permit a bit of ascii art, here is what it looks
like:

                                                -- [RedHat]
                                               /
            *Internet* -- [OpenBSD] -- (switch)
                                               \
                                                -- [Debian]

Okay, so I have two problems:

    Problem 1:

        I don't get anything faster than 64kbs between any machine and the
        outside world.

    Problem 2:

        Between the OpenBSD box and either the RedHat or Debian box, the
        speed is what you would expect, I can transfer a 20Mb file in about
        10 seconds or so.

        But between the RedHat and Debian box, the transfer rate is
        only around 100kbs. What gives?

Problem #1 might not be a real problem, I've not used DSL before, but I'm
thinking transfer rates would be a wee bit better than this. Would anyone
with Covad DSL care to comment?

As for problem #2, I have no idea what is going on. I thought it might be a
NIC issue, but all the network cards that touch the switch are set to full
duplex, and on the OpenBSD box, the NIC that hits the DSL is set to half
duplex (I tried FD too, that didn't do anything different).

Could anyone suggest what else might be wrong with this setup? I've tried
turning off the firewall, but that didn't seem to bring any significant
change in speed.

thanks,
thomas

--