[svlug] whois database seems to be incorrect

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Thu Oct 24 15:55:28 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 03:00:37PM -0700, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 02:45:56PM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 02:22:00PM -0700, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> > > I wonder if the recent DOS attack on top DNS servers is related to the
> > > unexpected result I get (http://www.linwin.com/whois/) with
> > > whois microsoft.com ?
> > >
> > > What else in that DB is messed up?
> >
> > There is no error, this is normal. People make those server names to
> > show up in whois listings. This is a longstanding feature of whois:
> >
> >  $ whois microsoft.com*
>
> I don't see it as normal. Note that I did not use "microsoft.com*" but
> microsoft.com which worked some time back without all the garbage. I
> know products that use information from whois database which gets
> distorted with garbage like that. I'm surprized to see that whois
> servers would allow information on subdomains rather than domains only.

Then you see it wrong. Run it without the * and you still get all the
records, just the output is not as concise. I did it that way to get
shorter output for the mail message.

This is the way the whois has been for the few years that I've been
using it. Perhaps you simply never ran whois on a domain which people do
these stupid tricks to.
--
"You are trapped in a maze of screens and ssh sessions all alike."
"It is dark, and you are likely to log off the wrong account."