[svlug] file descriptors

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Thu Oct 24 06:23:02 PDT 2002

is this supposed to be a dynamic thing?!

I was told the default on a Linux machine is 8k and the max is 64k. I
see linux machines that boot indeed like this:

$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
8192

however a few have rather different and weird numbers in there...

a RHL:
[ira at dual ~]$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
104855

two debian sids:
[ira at glenord ~]$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
91750
[ira at joy ~]$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
52422

two debian woodies:
[ira at glenord ~]$ ssh ira at XXX cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
8192
[ira at glenord ~]$ ssh ira at YYY cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
4096

so any idea what could cause the change of this parameter at random
jumps?

another question: bash sets by default a ulimit on forks of 1024 FDs
(ulimit -n 1024). is there a system-wide limit parameter I can increase?
we're running an Oracle cluster here and random nodes seem to run into
all sorts of limits, and crash in a very ungraceful way (nothing useful
in the logs). strace won't be very useful, as this happens only hours
into the stress test.

help?

--
Lyrical gangsta
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.