Point of debate--> was Re: [svlug] Installing NVIDIA Drivers on RH 8.0

Walter Reed wreed at hubinternet.com
Wed Oct 23 16:28:19 PDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:28:49AM -0700, James Leone wrote:
> I am also wondering that if Linux in general is loosing users to Mac OSX.

Of course that would be true if:
  You didn't have to go and buy new hardware
  The new hardware costs 2 - 8X Intel hardware
  Apple laptops only have one mouse button, and therefore suck. :-)

I don't think Linus is losing sleep over OSX migrations.

Linux runs on everything from watches to mainframes. It's a unifying /
equalizing platform technically, socially, and economically. No other OS
can claim this or is even close to achieving this state.

When you look at the international big picture, governments are
beginning to want control over the software that runs their
infrastructure. They don't want to be slaves to US corporations. They
are going to start migrating to Linux mainly because it's the most
mature, stable, flexible and open option on the planet. While some
flavors of BSD are close (and excellent from a technical standpoint),
they don't have mind-share.

OSX sure is purty. It just wont win.