[svlug] Installing NVIDIA Drivers on RH 8.0

David Leimbrock dil at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 21 23:18:44 PDT 2002

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 04:23 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

> The link to their linux drivers is:
> http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_archive
> It amazes me that neither Red Hat nor Mandrake supply them
> on the cd.

 From what I've observed on linux-kernel, most developers don't want
anything to do with the nvidia drivers.  F.e, when 'tainted' kernel oops
are posted the first thing the individual is usually told is to try and
reproduce the problem without any binary only (ie. Nvidia) modules
loaded.  If the problem is then no longer reproducible, they're
correctly directed towards the vendor (ie. Nvidia).

I personally don't have any problems either with Nvidia or the binary
mod's but at the same time can appreciate why Redhat/Mandrake feel that
they don't have the tools (source) necessary to support.