[svlug] Question about RAID

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Mon Oct 14 14:36:07 PDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 02:28:18PM -0700, Aaron T Porter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:54:19PM -0700, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
>
> > Use hardware RAID whenever possible. Why waste CPU cycles on doing
> > things that controller is supposed to do.
>
> 	Because in many cases you'll get better overall performance using
> Software Raid than relying on the 33mhz processor on your raid card. Not
> such a big deal with Raid 0 or 1, but when you use raid5 you really start
> to see a difference.

Is that "somebody says so" or a fact? I would like to see the stats.
URL? It's my guess that controller were designed so that the CPU can
handle the load for a particular SCSI bus. That means you won't gain
much if anything at all to shuffle blocks all the way to CPU from
the disks on the same bus.

--
Rafael