[svlug] another image display system -> Rig

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sun Oct 13 21:29:04 PDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:12:35PM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> Do you mean to be rude? Your response comes off as such. Oh well, I
> don't take it personally.

You shouldn't. I'm opinionated, so I  state my opinion bluntly. The fact
that fact gallery is very not convenient to use for me shouldn't reflect
on you (unless you are the author, and I didn't know about that :-)

> Anyways, where I run gallery is also "my server" and all I had to do to
> have gallery aquire them is add a couple directives to apache's config
> file (an alias to bring the directory into the web space and a location
> directive to set up indexes). My pictures already happened to be
> archived there.

Right, so you need to serve the pictures on your server for gallery to
read them via http and rewrite them on the same disk they came from.
Again: uh?

> I have no idea where and when it's faster for you to "upload" things, I

Well, we both copy the pictures to your server.
At that  time, mine are  already up for  serving with Rig,  whereas with
gallery, you need to copy them via  http back on the same disk (making a
second copy in the process, and  waiting quite a while (possibly an hour
or more if there are many))

That's why I'm not impressed with gallery.

(I see it as being useful if I wanted an end user with no access to my
server to upload pictures, but turns out that I have no such need, and
if I did have such a need, ftp would work just fine)

Marc