[svlug] Backup strategies

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sat Oct 5 09:06:44 PDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 08:32:51AM -0700, hvrietsc at myrealbox.com wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 01:36:23AM -0700, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> >
> > What if someone deletes a file, then cron (via rsync) deletes it on the
> > other disk, and, finally, the individual who deleted the file realizes they
> > didn't really want to delete the file?
> >

> you can set up rsync so it does NOT delete the file on the backup which
> is my prefered way of doing this, this way the file can be restored
> until that point in time that the user creates a new file with the same
> name.  (and even for that case rsync has some options).

Thanks for the clarification. Although I have been aware of rsync for quite
a while, I must confess to not have actually utilized it. I must make some
time to read the manual... But what about this scenario: Say you have
multiple hosts that each may initiate changes to a file. Can rsync be set up
to sync all host copies to the most recent changed version--regardless of
the host or user that initiates the changes? Can rsync maintain multiple
versions of the same file?

Personally, I have a custom brewed system of software RAID0 and RAID5 volumes in
conjunction with a cvs repository, backed up with a set of custom scripts that I
employ to sync my volumes and even burn CDROMs on a periodic basis. It has
worked well for me, but I am fast coming to the point where a more robust, well
thought out system is needed. So, I'll be re-designing this IT subsystem in the
near future.

Thanks for your comment.

cheers,
Karen