[svlug] Re: word

Tim tim at tetro.net
Fri Oct 4 23:23:57 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:48:02PM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>   I am regularly asked for a Word version of my resume and am almost as
>   frequently told that its a "requirement".
>
> It has yet to be a requirement in practice, only in some rep's head.

Once I had an instructor for an online class who, on their web site,
said that a requirement was "be able to create and send word document",
so I emailed her and asked if I could use HTML or if there was another
format that would be acceptable.  She replied and said:

  "As long as your format can be read in an email.  Nothing can be an
  attachment. It must be enclosed in an email and therefore read by the
  two email systems without difficulty.  I find that a lot of formats do
  not do that. They become unreadable as they go from one email system
  to another."

In her message's headers was "X-Mailer: AOL 5.0 for Mac sub 28".  Since
when did AOL start embedding Word?  Since when are Word documents
readable "as they go from one email system to another" ?  Anyway, I
thought it was funny.   She meant ASCII after all, but some how learned
to say "Word document" instead of "ASCII" or "plaintext".

   - Tim