[svlug] Re: word

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Oct 4 22:17:39 PDT 2002

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:11:51 -0700 (PDT)
Sanatan Rai <sanat at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Personally, I couldn't care less if Word didn't exist. However, it
> seems to me to be common sense to supply documents in a format the
> recipient can read.

Flat text fits that requirement without any exceptions.

Word doesn't.

> I find it strange that the aim here seems to be to _not_ read
> resumes. If you can then why not?

As a reader of resumes I make simple tradeoffs:

  If I can read, process, search, index, and otherwise deal with your
  resume in an easy fashion its fairly likely to get read, or at least
  passed thru my resume grinder.

  The more I have to do to be able to treat and process a given resume
  just like all the others I process the less likely I am to bother, and
  the more likely I am to discard the resume unread.

I discard a lot of resumes.  Hundreds in fact.

The people who want Word resumes are twofold:

  1) Agencies who want to reformat your resume into their template and
  onto their letterhead so that you appear a "company man" etc.

  2) HR and non-technical managers who are comfortable with Word and
  find the appearance of flat text vaguely unsettling and Windows
  Notepad unfamiliar and mildly scary.

    Note that these are often the same people who find flat text email
    vaguely unsettling and consider it luddite and anachronistic an
    consider HTML email's colours, unfixed margins, etc to be
    fashionable and desirable signatures of "modernity".

Determine your public.  Service _them_.

In my case (such) HR and non-technical managers are not my public.  I
don't service them.

--
J C Lawrence