[svlug] Re: word

Ira Weiny iweiny at acm.org
Fri Oct 4 17:27:13 PDT 2002

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:21:46 -0700 (PDT)
Graham Freeman <graham at calteg.org> wrote:

> > On the other side, some companies  send your resume directly to /dev/null if
> > it's a word document.
>

> Sure.  Some companies will risk significant opportunity cost based on
> ideological decisions.  However, presumably they wouldn't do what you
> describe if they had specifically asked for it in Word format, as in my
> situation.

No some companies don't have the resources to pay for such software and are
using more open standards.  I for one can't open about 1/2 the word documents I
get. (trying with OpenOffice) so they go to /dev/null...

On the other hand maybe Microsoft would give away reader copies of their
software which runs on Linux on PPC platforms...  (yea when pigs fly through a
frozen hell...)

Ira Weiny