[svlug] Re: word

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Fri Oct 4 17:25:28 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 04:21:46PM -0700, Graham Freeman wrote:
> No, they wouldn't have rescinded their job offer if I hadn't fulfilled
> their reasonable request.  However, it would've been rather silly of me to

I don't think they would even have noticed.
Do you think they really cared? They just didn't want you to submit a resume
in amipro 2.0.

> > On the other side, some companies  send your resume directly to /dev/null if
> > it's a word document.
>
> Sure.  Some companies will risk significant opportunity cost based on
> ideological decisions.  However, presumably they wouldn't do what you

Not really. It's a barrier to entry. The website says "please submit resume
in ASCII or HTML".
If the  applicant can't understand and  follow simple directions, or  has no
idea how to type  a resume in ASCII or convert something  to HTML, then they
probably failed the "am I smart enough to operate a computer" test.

Considering how many people  are looking for jobs, and how  many of them are
skilled,  weeding out  someone who  can't  send a  resume in  ASCII in  HTML
probably isn't a problem.

Note too that it's not ideological.
1) Why deal with and index a 300KB+ document when it could have fit in 2-5k?
   (by law, companies have to keep a record of resumes sent to them in case
   they have to prove that they are an equal opportunity employer)
2) Why even risk macro viruses
3) Why pay microsoft for an addition windows and office license when you
   might not need them in the first place?
4) Why bother with trying to convert the file to a format you can deal with
   more easily?

> describe if they had specifically asked for it in Word format, as in my
> situation.

Right.

Marc