[svlug] Firewall Question

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 1 18:26:24 PDT 2002

* Bishop <bishop at pacbell.net> [2002-10-01 17:40:27 -0700]:
> I have  a question for you guys. I will installing a firewall on my linux
> box soon. My question is would it be better for me to download a firewall
> software off then net , or should I build my own firewall from scratch.

Here's my $0.02: I recently set up iptables on a Redhat 7.3 box. All in all,
it wasn't too bad, the hardest part was figuring out the iptables syntax. I
decided to go with iptables because 1) it came with the OS, and 2) there was
a *ton* of documentation on the web on how to set it up, configure it, etc.

When you say you want to build your own firewall from scratch, what do you
mean by that?

(I am told that the OpenBSD firewall pf is more secure and has a simpler
syntax -- but I've not seen any hard data to back that up, only anecdotal
musings from friends.)

--
N. Thomas
nthomas at cise.ufl.edu