[svlug] stats collections

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Tue Oct 1 10:44:27 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 09:22:51AM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:42:10 +0300
> Ira Abramov <lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org> wrote:
>
> > I have a creaping feeling like I'm reinventing a wheel here...  I'm
> > sitting and writing a set of /proc grokking scripts to report system
> > IO, memory, load and other stats on an MRTG graph. it feels like a
> > hack that must have been hacked better before. I'm aware of
> > http://mrtg-pme.sf.net/ but still, I want to be able to adjust time
> > resolution and stick a few more than just two lines on each graph if
> > possible. anyone got ideas? Can I save myself time?
>
> Sure, use SNMP (recommend UCD snmpd) and then graph via cricket (far
> nicer than MRTG).

IMO, the big advantage to sticking with net-snmp is that lots of support
is available on the net and lots of other tools work with it. You can
ditch cricket later for a home grown graphing solution, or keep cricket
and monitor your network with a NMS that can poll your hosts.

You're getting far more flexibility in the long run with SNMP. net-snmp
now supports SNMPv3, which has security in the design. I have to admit I
haven't played with the new versions that support it, however.
--
Computer /nm./: a device designed to speed and automate errors.
   - From the Jargon File.