[svlug] fun with transparent terminals

mrlocomojo@yahoo.com mrlocomojo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 20:10:02 PST 2001

fyi -

    I recently replaced pine with mutt as my mail reader.  One (though
    not the only) reason it took so long is I couldn't figure out how to
    get mutt to operate properly in a transparent terminal (aterm).
    Yes, this may be a silly reason but the personalization of one's
    desktop is extremely important to a number of X11 users.

    Aterm works well as a drop-in replacement for gnome-terminal.  I've
    used it successfully under icewm, sawfish, and windowmaker.  There
    was an issue with aterm running in kde (not failing, just not
    handling the background properly).  I don't know if this has been
    resolved as I've used  icewm with gnome-panel for a while now.

   Just in case I wasn't the only one who likes text and digs transparent
   terminals, here is a set of color settings that works.  If your
   wrapping doesn't like it, each line begins with 'color'.  Beneath the
   color settings is the little script I use to start mutt.  Finally,
   you'll find a little vim script that allows you to switch your vim
   syntax & text setting from light to dark background with a function
   key (when you switch desktop backgrounds, you need to have an easy way to
   tell vim it's dark or light back there)  Have fun.

=== color settings from .muttrc == feel free to suggest improvements ===
color normal            default         default
color hdrdefault        brightcyan      default
color signature         green           default
color attachment        brightyellow    default
color indicator         brightblack     brightcyan
color quoted            green           default
color quoted1           white           default
color tilde             blue            default
color body              brightcyan      default "[-a-z_0-9.%$]+@[-a-z_0-9.]+\\.[-a-z ][-a-z]+"
color body              brightwhite     default "(http|ftp|news|telnet|finger):/ /[^ \">\t\r\n]*"
color body              brightwhite     default "mailto:[-a-z_0-9.]+@[-a-z_0-9.] +"
color header            brightmagenta   default ^(Date):
color header            brightyellow    default ^Subject:
color body              brightred       default " [;:]-*[)>(<|]"

======$HOME/bin/gtMutt (icewm key shortcut <ctrl><alt>m)========
#!/bin/sh
Cmd="mutt $*"
if [ ${DISPLAY} ]; then
    nohup aterm +sb -tr -trsb -sh 65 -title Mutt -rv -bg \
        SeaGreen3 -fg DarkBlue -fn lucidasanstypewriter-10 \
         -geometry 108x54 -e ${Cmd} > /dev/null 2>&1 &
else
    screen ${Cmd}
fi

====quick and easy reverse background for vim====
====mapped to <F11>====
====place in .vimrc or source from .vimrc====
====works with vim and gvim====

:function! ReverseBackground()
:   let Mysyn=&syntax
:   if &bg=="light"
:       se bg=dark
:   else
:       se bg=light
:   endif
:   syn on
:   exe "set syntax=" . Mysyn
":   echo "now syntax is "&syntax
:endfunction
:command! Invbg call ReverseBackground()
:noremap <F11> :Invbg<CR>

--
fdj