[svlug] DSL provider (raw bandwidth <-> pacbell?)

Aaron Lehmann aaronl at vitelus.com
Sat Mar 24 18:17:01 PST 2001

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 03:24:18PM -0800, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> 1) If you're not "logged in," then in theory you can't be attacked either.
> If you're running no services, this seems like a potential upside,
> especially since this might close the default open (as in masqerade
> anything, including people who just want to be masqueraded from OUTSIDE)
> wingates I'm tired of playing whack-a-mole with on home.com.

Not being connected constantly is no substitute for good security. And
if you're not running any services in the first place, there should be
nothing to be afraid off (assuming you run free software you can
trust).

> 2) If you don't want everyone in the house who has access to the computer
> to have access to the net connection by default.

Sounds counter-productive to the idea of getting internet access.
"PPPoE: the internet for people who don't want the internet."

> 3) If you're running something that needs to be logged in. An example
> might be a device (such as a TiVo) that needs to ride a connection and log
> in via ppp -- in other words, it needs to be on some other logical network
> than the one you're physically on.

It seems odd to have a DSL with broadband just for a device that
occasionally needs to transfer a little data. But why would it hurt to
have a pure ethernet connection?

In general, I can't figure out what advantage PacBell gets by demoting
DSL to a 1980's-esque modemlike session-based service. It's certainly
lost them this potential customer.