[svlug] DSL provider (raw bandwidth <-> pacbell?)

Aaron Lehmann aaronl at vitelus.com
Sat Mar 24 12:45:01 PST 2001

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 11:54:00AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > (raw is more expensive)
>
> Yes!  Raw Bandwidth Communications _is_ more expensive.  Penny-pinchers,
> please note that fact, and DO NOT CALL that company.  Please stick with
> your unreliable, PPPoE-burdened PacBell service, which costs less.

It isn't completely fair. I remember some discussion of the fact
that Pacbell provides bandwidth for free with their lines, making it
difficult for competitors to operate. Since Pacbell is one of the only
companies you can get a DSL line from and they force you to buy the
(patheticly useless) bandwidth along with it, it will always cost more
to use them in conjunction with a company like Raw Bandwidth.

Personally, I'm happy I went with Covad/Speakeasy. At least I haven't
seen the latter on fuckedcompany.com yet. The price I pay is competitive
with Pacbell's offerings, but I am allowed and encouraged to run
servers, have (up to 8) static IP addresses, and don't have to deal with
this PPPoE obfuscation I keep hearing about (can someone explain that
once and for all? I cannot understand the life of me why someone would
want to run a perfectly good, ethernet-based, persistant connection over
PPP). Anyway, Speakeasy is also nice enough to listen to my requests
about small things like reverse DNS. I highly reccomend them, but only
to intelligent, self-sufficient customers ;-).