[svlug] Perplexed about spam

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Mar 21 21:58:01 PST 2001

The standard, as evidenced by Geocities doctrine, is to shut down the
spammed site, for "improper promotion" (at least that's the term we
use internally for when we shut down a site because it was the
"subject" of the spam.

The RBL also considers "hosting spammed sites" as "spam support services".

I'd say the industry standard there is a good swift LART to site.com.

At 9:22 PM -0800 3/21/01, Todd Lyons wrote:
>This doesn't affect me directly, but a fellow LUGger who works at an
>ISP.  The following names are given to set the stage:
>ISP:          isp.com
>Site:         site.com
>Open Relay:   relay.com
>Asshole:      Jeff Aaron (jmaaron at wwonline.com)
>
>isp.com has in their AUP a clause forbidding using systems within their
>network for spam.  site.com used relay.com to send spam to (apparently)
>many people, one of whom is Jeff (go look at his site at
>http://jmaaron.wwonline.com/).  Jeff complained to isp.com and demanded
>they shut down site.com or (and I quote) "your company will go out of
>business because you'll never be able to get another internet connection
>due to your reputation as a spam friendly company."  WTF???  If that was
>the case, .kr would be unable to get a net connection <tongue_in_cheek>
>
>Jeff should go complaining to relay.com, not to isp.com.  No spam flowed
>through isp.com.  The question is, is isp.com legally or morally
>obligated to cancel site.com's connectivity?  If this were an email
>account, yes, shut it down (as yahoo and hotmail do).  But this is a
>whole domain.  What are industry standard responses on this?  What are
>the legal precedents?  If not asking here, where would be the
>appropriate place TO ask?
>
>What was the name of that anti-spam guy who got roasted when someone
>sent out spam saying it was him?
>--
>Blue skies...		Todd
>| Get a bigger hammer!   |  Two things prevent you from having    |
>| http://www.mrball.net  |  sex with women:  sunlight & sobriety  |
>| http://faq.mrball.net  |                          --Tom Leykis  |

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |