[svlug] Linux Presentation Software Recommendations?

Stephen R. Savitzky steve at theStarport.org
Mon Mar 19 23:20:02 PST 2001

"Jeremy D. Zawodny" <jzawodn at yahoo-inc.com> writes:

> I'm looking for recommendations on presentation software for Linux. I
> need to prepare a PowerPoint-like presentation for a conference and
> I've never looked much into presentation software.

I usually use HTML.  Run the raw HTML through a stylesheet processor,
macro expander, or perl script to turn each slide into a suitable

  http://www.RiSource.org/Papers/xtech.html

There are a couple of advantages:

o Because it's HTML you can include links to relevant websites and other
  documents -- especially useful if you get lots of questions.

o If you're doing web-based applications it's even better -- you can
  link to your demos.

o Putting all the slides in one huge page with href="#n" links between
  them makes transitions between slides blindingly fast -- no need to
  wait for the next page to load.

o By adjusting the height of the tables you can make the slide set
  suitable for printing, or for display on any size screen.

o HTML can be viewed anywhere in any browser.  Very convenient for
  emergencies, and for making your presentation available on the web
  after the talk.

===

That said, the coolest presentation software I've ever seen is Squeak,
as exemplified by Alan Kay's talk at ACM1 last week.  Squeak is a
programming system based on Smalltalk; each slide is a "project" which
is simply a screenfull of objects.  You can mix static text, graphics,
animation, and live demos at will; even on the same slide.

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \ 1997 Pegasus Award winner: best science song--+  \
/ <steve at theStarport.org>      http://theStarport.com/people/steve/   V   \