[svlug] Comments sought on membership age...

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at got.net
Sun Mar 18 08:38:02 PST 2001

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 11:00:15AM +0000, Drew Bertola wrote:

> Second, after some initial point-and-click lessons and then some email
> lessons, I would like to encourage Jose to seek further help through
> SVLUG.  Does anyone have any concerns over this?  I will, of course,
> be providing him with a bit of direct assistance, but he should learn
> to use the bredth of resources available.  If anyone feels this is
> inappropriate or if anyone knows of a better information source for
> his age, please let me know.
>
> Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...
>               |   http://jpager.com/Drew

I think you need to work closely with the youngster's parent(s). SVLUG is
here for anyone. But you and the parents may want to limit access to
specific sites for a few years.

BTW Drew, keep up the good work. Linux has the power to uplift young folks.
More needs to be done at the grass roots level to bring Linux to them.
Today, anyone who can get connected to the internet can work with Linux and
the open source community to educate themselves, providing a path to a good
life. It's a powerful side effect of open source computing.

c,
--
 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape; Santa Cruz, Ca. 95060