[svlug] Re: Mass copying

AK anm0l at home.com
Sat Mar 17 20:48:01 PST 2001

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 08:19:58PM -0800, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Todd Lyons wrote:
>
> > Dave Zarzycki wrote:
> >
> > > $ tar --help|egrep "(zip|compress)"
> > >   -I, --bzip2                        filter the archive through bzip2
> >
> > <sigh>  <POP>
> > [root at todd ~]# tar --help | egrep "(zip|compress)"
> >   -I, --bzip2                        filter the archive through bzip2
> >   -z, --gzip, --ungzip               filter the archive through gzip
> >   -Z, --compress, --uncompress       filter the archive through compress
> >       --use-compress-program=PROG    filter through PROG (must accept
> > -d)
> >

> dagmar at evil:~$ tar --help | egrep "(zip|compress)" && tar --version
>   -y, --bzip2, --bunzip2             filter the archive through bzip2
>   -z, --gzip, --ungzip               filter the archive through gzip
>   -Z, --compress, --uncompress       filter the archive through compress
>       --use-compress-program=PROG    filter through PROG (must accept -d)
> tar (GNU tar) 1.13
>
> Copyright (C) 1988, 92,93,94,95,96,97,98, 1999 Free Software Foundation,
> Inc.
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.

This is what is says on my system

anmol at toutatis:~$ tar --help | egrep "(zip|compress)" && tar --version
  -j, --bzip2                        filter the archive through bzip2
  -z, --gzip, --ungzip               filter the archive through gzip
  -Z, --compress, --uncompress       filter the archive through compress
      --use-compress-program=PROG    filter through PROG (must accept -d)
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.19
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

bye :)
Anmol