[svlug] Re: Mass copying

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 17 19:08:01 PST 2001

begin  Todd Lyons quotation:

> Since it's this easy to use gzip in this manner, why hasn't there been a
> version of tar that does it with bzip2?

Hmm.  Last I heard, bzip2 support for GNU tar (using "-I") requires a
patch.  It's a very _common_ patch, but I believe still is done that
way.

(Obligatory observation about bzip2:  You'll get maybe 6% better
compression, but compression will take twice as long and decompression
four times as long.)

rick at linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.