[svlug] Writing start-up scripts...

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Thu Mar 15 13:14:02 PST 2001

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Rafael wrote:

> So I'm half way between you and Marc. RedHat has
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1549 Feb 17  2000 sendmail
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1712 Feb  5  2000 ypbind
>
> which of course is wrong but I mentioned that in generic statement "RedHat
> scripts suck". Their networking part under /etc/sysconfig is a terrible
> mess.

I should add a little more commentary to this, since I don't quite agree
with this point.  RedHat is definitely what I would consider 'edge'
design.  Some of the new stuff they come up with sucks, and some of it is
just stellar.  chkconfig being one of the good ones, and the entire
/etc/sysconfig hierarchy's implementation by linuxconf to be abysmally
bad.

They WERE onto a good idea with the /etc/sysconfig directory, IMHO.
After a lot of anguishing about how the heck I was going to design the
init scripts for a five interface box I was running about a year ago, I
came to the painful conclusion that putting configuration information into
/etc/syscconfig/network was pretty much the only way to go.  ...and yes,
you read right, five interfaces.  One modem, three ethernet cards, and a
PCMCIA interface for a 802.11 gateway.  Every single bit firewalled to
hell and back, which was the major problem.

Trying to work out an elegant way to be able to bring up and put down
(heh) interfaces in a manner that would take into account both firewalling
tables and the possibility of transient interfaces (modem being a good
example, 802.11 via PCMCIA being even more evil) as well as network
services bound to their respective interfaces, using
/etc/sysconfig/network/${INTERFACE_NAME}/${SEVERAL_DIFFERENT_FILES} was
the only way I could conveniently access organize the data so that one
dinky little shell script (only about 40K) could parse and deal with it
all.