[svlug] [redhat] signal.c:623:parse error before 'EXPORT_SYMTAB_not_defined'

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at got.net
Wed Mar 14 22:01:02 PST 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 07:42:50AM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> rh-7.0 shipped with broken headers and gcc problems...
> you found it...
>
> you can try to use different gcc
> 	kgcc and/or egcs
> 	- use egcs is my bet....
>
> you can try to fix the kernel header problems ( hernel.h )
>
> you can try different kernls... ( seems to make a difference )
> 	2.2.18 vs 2.4.0-test* vs 2.4.0 vs 2.4.1 vs 2.4.2
>
> i didnt bother to go searching for precise answeres yet

Well, I'm using a canonical 2.4.2 kernel source (tarball) tree on an
otherwise selectively updated Red Hat 7.0 host.

$ rpm -qf /usr/include/linux/
kernel-headers-2.4.0-0.43.12

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/gcc
gcc-2.96-54

from the kernel Makefile: "HOSTCC          = gcc"

This compiles without any problems.

Personally, I don't mind running Red Hat, but I only run canonical kernel
tarballs these days. If I want to patch the kernel, it's easy to do.

You folks running Red Hat 7.0 should grab the latest gcc and glibc RPMs,
among others. Then grab the kernel tarball. It's not that big of a deal.

You can grab the kernel-header RPM or just make a symbolic link to the
kernel source tree.

HTH,
Karen
--