[svlug] low-end tape backup advice

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 13 13:24:02 PST 2001

on Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 07:32:57PM -0800, kmself at ix.netcom.com (kmself at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 06:55:00PM -0600, Christopher Lee (clee at gnwy100.wuh.wustl.edu) wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for a tape drive to do back up for a small home/office network
> > under linux (around 60GB of data total).  I'm on a budget, and have seen
> > tempting prices for $200 drives like the OnStream DI30 which claim high
> > reliability and 15GB per tape.
> >
> > Any advice or warnings about these lower-end tape drives?
>
> Backups were discussed at some length here a couple months back.
> Alvin's got some experience on larger commercial installations.  My own
> notes based on single desktop / small network environments are at:
>
>     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html
>
> Cheers.

Interesting side note.  The Register has a story today on HD failures.
Cost per incident, *before* productivity and lost sales, is put at
$15,000.  Makes a few hundred bucks (or a grand) spent on archival
systems cheap by comparison, particularly when networking allows this
to be leveraged over multiple systems.

Anyone got an MTBF for current technologies?

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/