[svlug] Writing start-up scripts...

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Mar 12 17:06:01 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 04:36:53PM -0800, Rafael wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> > >                                    ^^^
> > > 				   755 :-)
> > >
> > > (you knew that, but the correction is list members who might not)
                                          for

> > 700.
> >
> > lusers have no need to read your system init scripts.  ;)

So? What if they'd like to look at them, and god forbid, might find some
problem and make a suggestion?

> I have no problem with regular users reading rc scripts. They might learn
> something. Having them execute them is not advisable. There are other

Apologies, I didn't realize that you actually said 744 on purpose.
I suppose you have a point, but  then all init scripts should be user proof,
i.e. if a user runs them, they should do the right thing, or nothing at all.

Of course "should" is the key word here, so you make a good point.

Marc