[svlug] multiple ricochet wireless router?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Sun Mar 11 22:31:02 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> Dagmar d'Surreal writes:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> >
> > > OK, now any given machine uses 192.168.64.n as its gateway, where n is
> > > the machine's own IP address mod 4, plus one.  Then when you give out
> > > DHCP leases, if you give out 192.168.64.m, you need the gateway to be
> > > 192.168.64.(m%4)+1.  This might be feasible.
> >
> > I hate to bash this idea since you clearly put a lot of thought into it,
> > but just having everyone use the hostname "proxy" to get out and having
> > that hostname resolve with round-robin records on the interneal DNS server
> > would probably work about ten times better.
>
> Not all operating systems (or DHCP client implementations) let you
> specify a default gateway by hostname instead of by IP address -- as
> far as I know.  In manual configuration on Windows and MacOS systems I
> recall having to enter an actual IP address.

I wasn't talking about a default gateway.  I was talking about a set of
squid proxies.  Without using mPPP or some other load balancing solution
you're just going to be pissing in the wind trying to get the entire
network of machines to use all four gateways at once.  Setting four
different gateways (considering that all four are likely to be
masquerading) is going to be pretty thoroughly inefficient.  If you
configure up squid proxies you'll probably eliminate 80% of your user
complaints.  (Setting up SOCKS on them all would probably be a good idea,
too, but likely to create as many confused users as it fixes).

As an escapee of the PhreakNIC conventions back in Tennessee, I have a bit
of experience with watching people try to duct tape and velcro-strap a
bunch of different (and all rather weak) internet connections together.
You're up against a bit of a technical wall unless your Ricochet provider
can hook you up with mPPP.  Setting up four squid and socks proxies, a
DHCP server, and a caching named with private zone or two should take you
approximately less than a day and let you get on with your other tasks
with mimumum delay without investing a lot of time an effort into a
configuration you're going to be changing in a short while anyway.