[svlug] Mandrake 8 beta thoughts

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Wed Mar 7 17:57:02 PST 2001

Dagmar d'Surreal writes:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Wayne Earl wrote:
>
> > Well yes, this could be a pain, but you would only run into this issue on
> > a Red Hat 7.0 system. All the RPMs on a 7.0 system are compiled using
> > gcc-2.96, so the only real way that I can think you would run into this
> > is:
> >
> > 1. Installing an RPM targeted at an earlier (RH 6.x or earlier) system,
> >
> > 2. Copying compiled libraries over from another system.
> >
> > 3. Propriatary (closed sourced) library or binary.
> >
> > #2 is poor system management, and #1 is easily solvable. Either grab a
> > SRPM and recompile, or compile from source. With #3, you can't upgrade
> > anyways.
>
> #1 is something Linux is normally not prone to, and not unlike having to
> look for Win98/ME/NT/2000-specific versions of software...

Funny, the only problem I've had on RH7.0 was with sort(1) from
textutils.  It failed on some very large files.  I copied sort from a
6.2 install into /usr/local/bin and everything worked fine.

I agree with Rick's points on both the pros and cons of Red Hat's
decision.  The versioning decision was the worst of it.  C++ ABIs
always break between versions (historically), so that's a non issue.
Some C code fails to compile w/ 2.96, some good C properly compiles
that should have but didn't compile previously.  All in all, the
biggest hassle was all the noise created by the anti-Red Hat folks.

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...