[svlug] Mandrake 8 beta thoughts

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 7 17:40:01 PST 2001

begin  Wayne Earl quotation:

> Speaking of short-term revenue expectations, can anyone here name the
> first compiler to be 100% compliant with the ISO C++ standard? (You're
> not going to like the answer.) Can anyone here tell me why gcc STILL
> isn't ISO C++ compliant, with the standard being about 3 years old?

For perspective:  The ISO Working Group approved that standard on
November 14, 1997, and ISO as a whole ratified it during August 1998, as
ISO/IEC 14882 -- and first published it as such on September 1, 1998.
So, call it 2.5 years.

That's not really very long in language terms.  It's also my perception
that C++ has only recently been taken seriously for free-software /
open-source coding.  ("Recently" compared to, say, C.)

--
Cheers,                              "Open your present...."
Rick Moen                            "No, you open your present...."