[svlug] Maxtor - Crapstor

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Wed Mar 7 15:28:02 PST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:48:26 -0800 (PST)
> Rafael  <raffi at linwin.com> wrote:
>
> > Install 64 bit Linux or Solaris and large files are not a
> > problem. What make windog so great that other OSes could not do or
> > haven't been doing for years. I wonder what's the compared disk
> > usage efficiency between OSes with different file/disk formats?
>
> Unfortunately 64bit processor systems are not commodity items (not
> at the level Intel ATX motherboards are), and Windows offers
> marketing advantages that Solaris just can't.
>
> Active Directory is a big market place checkbox for some odd reason.
> People want that checkbox item even if they never use it.

Allow me to suggest that this is because there are about a million MCSEs
out there who have bought into the whole concept hook, line, and sinker,
and are telling everyone else this is crucial technology and they
absolutely have to have it.  It also very neatly makes it next to
impossible to use anything but Windows products to get work done, once
it's fully implemented on a corporate LAN.

The sad truth is that the only thing that ActiveDirectory is "crucial" to
is Microsoft's quarterly earnings reports.  If they don't manage to sell
everyone whole new copies of Windows every year or so (they seem to be
bumping the home users up ahead of schedule by releasing 2000, ME, and now
XP or whatever the hell it is about 6 months apart each) they simply don't
make their revenue figures.