[svlug] 'stretched' screen in X?

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Wed Mar 7 15:20:02 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:28:55PM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   X starts succesfully but the image is stretched out off the right side
> of the screen, so the right side of what's supposed to be on the screen
> is missing. The mouse pointer works correctly, so it goes all the way
> from side to side (and not firther), but when I click it, the actual
> action on the screen is to the right of the spot where I see the pointer
> (the more to the right mouse pointer is the more off the actual 'action'
> spot is).

I had similar symptoms a year and a half ago with an eMachines 333cs (and
whatever video card was in it; I believe it was an ATI 3D Rage Pro IIc or
something).  The integrated-onto-the-motherboard video card was supposed
to be supported, but it turned out that I simply *could* *not* get it to
work.  I think that it was a slightly different chipset than the
"standard" card with the same model name.  (Oh, and this was with a
regular CRT monitor.)

My ultimate solution was to buy a Voodoo3 2000 PCI, not that putting a new
video card in a notebook is actually an option.  My interim solution until
I got around to doing *that* was to use the Linux kernel framebuffer
device and the XFree86 (I forget exactly which version; it was definitely
3.3.x, might've been 3.3.3) framebuffer X server.  It ran dog slow,
though.

Dunno if this helps you or not.

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill at billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You