[svlug] Starband PCI cards & Linux box

Dan Martinez dfm at area.com
Wed Mar 7 02:08:01 PST 2001

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> Offhand I'd say they don't want Linux people to know that their
> medium is no better than a REALLY COLLOSAL shared media segment, and
> unlike common hybrid fiber-coaxial cablemodem system, you can sniff
> the traffic of every customer within many miles of your home with
> them.

Don't forget the half-second pings. Gotta love the half-second pings.

Communications satellites have to be in geosynchronous orbit, which is
22,236 miles up. A roundtrip packet has to go from the user's dish, up
to the bird, and down to the ground station before making the same
trip in reverse. Assuming for the sake of argument that the ground
station has instantaneous connectivity to the rest of the world, the
packet still has to cross that 22,236-mile gap four times to complete
a round trip. 88,944 miles divided by 186,000 miles per second is
0.478 seconds.

The only thing less entertaining than trying to play Quake on such a
setup would be trying to use a remote terminal session.

Dan