[svlug] Starband PCI cards & Linux box

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Tue Mar 6 22:28:02 PST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Al Udal wrote:

> Hi, I'm a pretty much of a newbie in this Linux world,
> but I'm also a pilot tester of Starband 2-way satellite broadband
> Internet access system. It is based on Win98SE box which I tweaked
> to its limits and beyond (well, sometimes...). Feel like I have hit the
> ceiling with pretty crappy Windoze TCP/IP stack.
>
> Now I want to experiment with Starband system on Linux, but there's
> no drivers for its Tx/Rx PCI cards, and Starband tech support for beta testers
> promises that those will never be written.

Hmm... never heard of this medium before, but any time I see something
that "promises" linux support will never appear, it's usually because they
have something to hide.   Offhand I'd say they don't want Linux people to
know that their medium is no better than a REALLY COLLOSAL shared media
segment, and unlike common hybrid fiber-coaxial cablemodem system, you can
sniff the traffic of every customer within many miles of your home with
them.  (In this case, I'm guessing they don't want word to get out that
this kind of thing is possible before they can go IPO and get bought out)

Have you taken a close look at the card to see what types of chips are on
it?