[svlug] Trunking

Dan Beimborn dbeimborn at rainfinity.com
Tue Mar 6 16:05:02 PST 2001

> Does anybody knows of information on Trunking ethernet? I know it has been around for a while now (not as the IEEE802.3ad standard but every vendor has some solution that emulates the same functionality), but it's still hard to find current information as it applies to linux. I've searched google and got a lot of developement list type of information that's old and outdated. The network driver page is a bust too (http://www.scyld.com/network/). You can buy a swich that supports IEEE802.3ad and it's documented on how to set it up and everything. I'd like to know how linux supports the same standard or the same type of set up using two Ethernet acts as one on Linux servers (any distro).
>
> What I wanted to do is when people send requests to application server, if the other NIC is busy, I wanted the request send to different NICs to handle basically to get bigger pipe throughput before I can afford Gigabit Optic network. :-)

The intel eepro100 driver (the driver you have to download from the
Intel site, not the one in the kernel distros!) comes with support
for Link Aggregation, ie make 5 nics into a 500mbit aggregate
(5 links worth of 100mb connections, not 500mbit on a single connect!)
connection. I've never tried it, but quad cards are slightly cheaper
than gig cards :)

DB