[svlug] Undeliverable Message

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 6 15:48:02 PST 2001

on Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 03:32:56AM -0800, Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar at dsurreal.org) wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:03:39PM -0800, Rafael wrote:
> > > Marc,
> > >
> > > this bozo's email still bounces all over.
> >
> > Yeah, I hadn't noticed, his crap doesn't go through my spam filters

<...>

> > God,  I hate  clueless vacation  programs like  this one. Actually  this one
> > could create a very nice mail loop  if another person like him was using the
> > same broken program.
>
> I seriously considered simply setting up a procmail rule to send them back
> to him.
>
> This would of course create a mail loop, but frankly I think my machine
> would win.

I did this once.  By accident.  Procmail spamfilters which generally
assumed unknown addresses were merely neutral, but keyed off of content
to guess that mail was spam.  So I was getting a response from an
'abuse@' address that started a loop....  After about 400 messages in 24
hours, my ISP killed *my* service, without notifying me.

I demanded (and got) the pro-rated $0.66 refund for the service outage.
;-)

Anyway, I'd advise caution.  I've been sending the butthole's mails to
his sysadmin and <domain>@abuse.net through my (manually triggered) spam
responder.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/