[svlug] Boot problems after powerout

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Mar 5 10:27:01 PST 2001

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:07:11PM +0000, Drew wrote:
> The problem with the BackUPS was that after the lightning strike, it
> emitted noise which caused intermittent reboots.  It's a truely
> sinister product.

If I may, the UPS tried to safeguard your hardware. If it got shot in the
process, that's unfortunate, but they have a warranty.
I agree that when it still half  works, it's annoying and hard to debug, but
it did the best it could, getting struck by lightening is nothing casual.

> I imagine you can handle the occasional power losses without the "UPS"
> much easier than the problems the BackUPS will inject after it's been
> damaged by mild or excessive stress.  Throw the BackUPS in the same

Don't you think that the surge that damaged your UPS wouldn't have blown the
hardware being it if the UPS hadn't been there?
You get what  you pay for, a $x00  UPS just can't do the same  things than a
$y0000 one.

> scrap heap with Iomega products.  They're worse than useless.

Iomega  products (at  least zip  and jaz)  are crap,  granted (and  severely
overmarketted and overpriced crap too)

Marc