[svlug] Boot problems after powerout

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 3 14:47:01 PST 2001

I'm having boot problems on my aging desktop system following system
crash while I was travelling, followed by multiple cold boots I'd
instructed my housesitter to make.  I believe there may have been
lightening strikes in the area, not sure if this is related.  The box is
behind a UPS (APC BackUPS), which should moderate most line surges.

Currently, I can boot the system on a CDROM occasionally (LinuxCare
BBC), and am booting it for live work with a boot floppy -- kernel image
dd'd to floppy.  This was done after booting the system with the BBC.

Booting from hard disk results in the infamous 'LI' lilo prompt.  This
tends to indicate an inability to locate the second-stage boot loader,
which is on the same physical disk as the LILO MBR.  I'm a bit confuzzed
over this.

I've checked and re-run lilo several times, currently my /etc/lilo.conf
is:

    boot=/dev/hda3
    root=/dev/hda3
    linear
    install=/boot/boot.b
    delay=20
    map=/boot/map
    append=""
    read-only
    image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux

Partition table:

    Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 620 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

       Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1   *         1        39    157216+   6  FAT16
    /dev/hda2            40       293   1024128   83  Linux
    /dev/hda3           294       332    157248   83  Linux
    /dev/hda4           333       620   1161216    5  Extended
    /dev/hda5           333       459    512032+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda6           460       523    258016+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda7           524       555    128992+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda8           556       620    262048+  83  Linux

I've checked my BIOS boot settings.  1st is CDROM, 2nd is floppy, 3rd is
HD.  Booting with a CDROM in the drive generally results in getting the
'LI' prompt -- e.g.:  the CDR doesn't appear to be visible to the
system.

Currently, trying to mount the CDROM, I get:

    [karsten at navel:karsten]$ mount /mnt/cdrom/
    mount: No medium found

Audio CDs _do_ play.

There are /proc entries under /proc/ide/ide[01] which appear to suggest
that both the cdrom and HD are being recognized.  Not sure what
specifically from these trees is useful, I find the following files

    /proc/ide:
    drivers  hda@  hdc@  ide0/  ide1/
      _____________________/      /
     /   ________________________/
    /   /
   |   '- channel  config  hdc/  mate  model
   |     _________________/
   |    /
   |   '- capacity  driver  identify  media  model  settings

   +--- channel  config  hda/  mate  model
       /
      '- cache	  driver    identify  model	smart_thresholds
      '- capacity  geometry  media     settings	smart_values

I've checked cabling and everything _seems_ to be plugged in correctly,
though I should probably recheck.  Anyone have any ideas as to what's
wrong or anything I might be missing?

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/