[svlug] manners

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Jun 28 11:53:02 PDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:00:30 -0700
Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre at deirdre.net> wrote:

> At 7:17 AM -0700 6/28/01, Greg Herlein wrote:

> I completely agree, especially since so many people seem unwilling
> to help (specifically on DNS).

The BIND book (prev ed) is quite good.  I haven't checked the new
version that also covers BIND 9, but I hear good things about it.
If you don't want to throw $$$ at O'Reilly, then the BIND/DNS HOWTO
is not great but works, the Debian package comes with a respectably
good set of default configs and zone files, and there's a decent
HOWTO for dnscache under

  http://www.djbdns.org/

In checking the above link I also found:

  http://support.open-rsc.org./How_To/unix/djbdns/

and thus:

  http://support.open-rsc.org./

> Even working at an ISP, every question I asked went unanswered.

Aye, been there.

> I suspect this is why some people are so defensive about helping
> with DNS. :) (i.e. they never learned themselves really)

For me its a few things:

  a) I just don't remember.  The last time I really hacked DNS was a
  few years back and the details have blissfully faded.

  b) The documentation to do something things like setting up a
  cacheing nameserver is pretty good.  You don't need my help.  You
  just need to look at the instructions and follow them.

  c) For most external facing conditions you'd do better coughing
  $25 to easydns or maybe talking to nominum and using
  secondary.com.  There's an implicit question of ROI in there.
  Yeah, I do the Great Teacher bit , but I'd be teaching a dead end
  most of the time.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows