[svlug] manners

Dan Martinez dfm at area.com
Thu Jun 28 01:25:01 PDT 2001

Galen J. Wilkerson wrote:

> If you can't learn some manners, maybe you should find another forum
> for your problems.

Manners, Galen, are in the eye of the beholder.

"I don't want to learn about it, I just want it to run" sounds an
awful lot like "Please do my thinking/homework for me", an attitude
which many on this list consider rude. They are willing to share their
time and expertise -- things whose value, in the case of folks like
Rick and J C and countless others whose names I'm omitting, is not to
be judged lightly -- but in return they do expect that those whom
they're helping will make the effort to understand both the underlying
general principles *and* the solution to the specific problem.

To make a metaphor of an old saying, they're happy to teach the finer
points of the fishing trade to anyone who asks, but have little
interest in being purveyors of free fish -- especially not to someone
who just shows up on the dock and says, in essence, "Gimme some fish,
but don't tell me how you caught it, 'cause I'm not interested."

Dan